Sunday, December 20, 2009

Spread My Wings

Who remembers the group, Troop?? "Spread my wings/and fly away/to a place that I've longed for..." If you don't remember them, go ahead and google those lyrics and take a listen. I was sitting here contemplating a few things, no let me scratch that, it wasn't that serious. I don't want any of you to think that all I do is sit around at my desk in the thinking pose waiting for my brain to come up with another way to take over the world. I only do that on Tuesdays. But, back to what I was saying, I was sitting here observing some things when that song came on Yahoo! Radio. I hadn't heard that song in a while but I thought the timing was perfect. We're coming up on the end of the year and we're at the point in the year where people are racking their brains trying to come up with good last minute Christmas gifts; for those that have already completed their shopping, they are at now trying to figure out what is the new year's resolution that they are going to make while lying to themselves about how they're REALLY going to keep it this year. Ok, that wasn't fair, there are some of you that do keep their resolutions...probably none of the people that follow this blog, but they are out there, I'm sure of it. *crickets*


I've never understood resolutions and so I refuse to make them. A resolution to me is nothing more than an empty promise, it's something that most people don't take seriously so it's not going to last. I learned this back in the 8th grade. The teacher went around the room and asked each one of us to make a resolution for the new year. Most of the stuff I heard at the time was bogus. I mean, we were all 13 and 14 at the time, what big change could we possibly need to make at that point in our lives? Also, why wait until the New Year to make a resolution? Shouldn't we want to improve our lives daily? Become better people and a more contributing citizen to this Earth? Why wait until the calender changes to change ourselves?

"...And my heart will be/the pathway/I'm searching for love/that's ever more..."


With the new year should come new goals, new ways to improve yourself and new accomplishments. That song should be your guide. There are so many possibilities for you, so many different paths your life could take...there's no need to wait for the New Year to spread your wings. Sometimes I think we forget (I know I have this problem) how much we can accomplish. We're only human, we're only one person, one voice, one soul, but if you look back at your history...all it takes is one. One is the beginning, the start and it's that way for a reason. There's nothing in this world that we can't accomplish, but in order to do so, it has to start out with one person, one thought, one desire, one want. All it takes is that one to spread his wings and fly to wherever it is his heart may lead him. So, for today, next week, 2010 and beyond...remember that...be that one.


P.S. - This is as much of an open letter to myself that I felt could be shared with any and everyone who decides to read this blog. A lot of the times I share things, they are personal and I've either gone through them or are going through them. I don't want anyone to think or get the idea that I'm preaching empty philosophies...I don't sell pipe dreams...everything I write, I believe in...


No comments:

Post a Comment